List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: proposal
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <a-m.mahfouf () lineone ! net>
Date:       2002-06-08 19:23:04

On Saturday 08 June 2002 7:18 pm, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday, 8. June 2002 18:22, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> > Well, I see a lot of people each day trying to learn programming. I
> > don't think C++ is a good start. It is better to first learn a
> > structured language like C or better Pascal. The theory of OOP is very
> > hard to understand for a beginner.
>
> No one is forcing people to use OOP with C++.
> This is not Java.
>
> Kevin

Yes, exactly. C++ is a great language because it has every concept you need
to know. I teached it a bit to my daughter and nephew (14 and 13 years old)
last summer and  they easily grabbed some fundamentals. I think that children
must understand first the simple notions of logic behind programming like
loops and such. Some children aged 14 will be able to understand OOP and
others won't, it also depends of each child capability.
Using Qt would be a plus because of the widgets, it is more attractive than
terminal progs. All books for truly beginners use a widget lib.

I don't have any idea on how developing such a prog to teach programming but
it is something I personally would like to use with kids.

annma