List:       kde-docbook
Subject:    Re: poxml ready for prime time
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-28 21:13:38

Lauri Watts wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 February 2001 18:24, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >  Frederik Fouvry wrote:
> >  > | I have a list of single tags and a list of cutting tags.
> >  > | cutting tags are things like para, note, caution, etc.
> >  > | White space is simply converted to a simple space -
> >  > | allowing for consequenceless (does this word exist? :)
> >  > | reformatting in the english docs.
> >  >
> >  > There are some elements where the whitespace is important (equivalents
> >  > of PRE in HTML).  As far as I remember, they are literallayout,
> >  > synopsis, screen and programlisting.  (To make it more complicated
> >  > again, that's not necessarily the case too for elements nested inside
> >  > these ...)
> >  >
> >  > Sounds great otherwise!
> >
> >  Can you give me a real life example? I've seen screen, but it only seems
> >  to be wrapping other tags.
> >
> >  Greetings, Stephan
>
> Stephan, here are some I pulled out of existing documents:
>
> >From kdebase/doc/khelpcenter/support.docbook
>
> <literallayout>
> Matthias Hoelzer
> KDE-Verein i.G.
> Account-Nr. 2798296
>
> Staedtische Sparkasse Wuerzburg
> Hofstrasse 9
> 97070 Wuerzburg
> Germany
> BLZ 790 500 00
> SWIFT-Address: BYLA DE 77
> </literallayout>

Hmm, we don't want to have anything of this translated, no?

> >From kdenetwork/doc/kppp/index.docbook
>
> <screen>
> Expect       ogin:           <lineannotation># remember, we do ordinary
> terminal login</lineannotation>
> ID           ""              <lineannotation># kppp sends the id you
> configured in
> the main dialog</lineannotation>
> Expect       for userxyz:    <lineannotation># a list of available numbers is
> shown, the user should choose one</lineannotation>
> Send         userxyz-home    <lineannotation># the user wants to be called
> back
> on their home number</lineannotation>
> Expect       ogin:           <lineannotation># The callback process is now
> running, a new connection, and so a new login.</lineannotation>
> ID
> Expect       assword:        <lineannotation># Now send your
> password</lineannotation>
> Expect       &gt;            <lineannotation># Wait for the command prompt
> (the
> prompt may vary)</lineannotation>
> Send         start_ppp       <lineannotation># this command starts the
> pppd</lineannotation>
> </screen>

So we want everything between lineannotation translated, but the poor <screen> we
don't want translated.

> and same document:
>
> <screen>
> Send                            # send an empty string
> Expect           ID:
> Send             itsme
> Expect           word:
> Send             forgot
> Expect           granted
> Send             ppp
> </screen>

Hmm, that's even more tricky. You may want to translate the Send strings,
but not the Expect strings. But this up to the translators. I think, I just
take out screen and so on literally and hope, the translators know what they're
doing.

> and from kdevelop/doc/tutorial/index.docbook
>
> <programlisting>-&gt;  #include &lt;qpixmap.h&gt;
> -&gt;  #include &lt;qpen.h&gt;
>
>     class KScribbleDoc
>     {
>
> -&gt;           protected:
>
> -&gt;        QPen currentPen(){ return pen;};
>
> -&gt;                   int penWidth()
> -&gt;                           { return pen.width(); }
>
>       public slots:
>         void updateAllViews(KScribbleView *sender);
>
>         protected:
>
> -&gt;                   QPixmap buffer;
>
>       private:
> -&gt;                   QPen pen;
>         /** the modified flag of the current document */
>         bool modified;</programlisting>

There the question is even more if you want to translate it. Would you?
I add programlisting to the to be created donttouchwhitespace list :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
Teigwaren heissen Teigwaren, weil sie Teig waren * J. v. d. Lippe
MFCH