List:       kde-docbook
Subject:    using <legalnotice> with something other than FDL
From:       Robby Stephenson <robby () periapsis ! org>
Date:       2011-10-27 4:19:10

Hi,

I'm the primary author of Tellico (http://tellico-project.org) and it was
recently brought to my attention that the licensing information I had
included in the Tellico documentation was failing to render correctly in
khelpcenter.

Essentially, in addition to licensing the Tellico documentation under the
GNU FDL, I have released it with a triple-license under the GPL and BSD
Documentation License. This was done back in 2006, largely in response to
the Debian resolution considering whether to remove FDL-licensed
documentation.

I'd like to keep that triple license, and as far as I know, KDE requires the
FDL license for documentation, but does not limit to just the FDL.  Please
correct me if someone knows better. I'm basing that on what I read at
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy

However, looking at the kde-chunk.xsl file in
kdelibs/kdoctools/customization, the <legalnotice> element is hard-coded to
just show a link to the FDL, no matter what I actually write inside the
<legalnotice> element.

I would consider that a bug, but is there a workaround? Or does anyone know
why that decision was made? Is there an alternate element for non-FDL
licensing info in KDE documentation? Should I try to figure out a patch to
change the behavior?

Thanks,
Robby