List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Re: Spelling and grammar corrections
From:       Malcolm Hunter <malcolm.hunter () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-06-25 23:00:30

On Monday 25 June 2001 18:32, Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes wrote:
> 25.06.01 18:23:41, Malcolm Hunter <malcolm.hunter@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> >I'm currently building up a list of words that need to be made consistent,
> > so far I've come across these:
> >
> >Application names! eg KMidi KSpread
>
> There are a few name types, which I think should be spelled
> (spelt?) as follows:
>
> KSpread
>
> Konqueror
>
> KPPP (acronym)

Regarding acronyms, some are in lower case -eg. Mb/s (Mega bits per second).
However, I haven't come across any that fall into that category yet.

> I'd also like the proof-readers to change some quotation marks.
> Currently, there are 'these', "these", and perhaps even `these´
> and other variants around.

Well it saves typing \" instead of ' :o). Seriously though, are there cases
when single quotes are required where double quotes should not be used?

> And, if time permits: Text formatting. With the new HTML-style
> formatting, we see dialogs with <b>, <u>, etc. Only some apps
> use these tags, and they certainly don't use them the same way.
> One application may print filenames in italics, while another
> uses bold face.

Isn't that a coding issue then? Writing the apps to use the tags properly?

> These two issues are not strictly proof-reading, but I think
> someone [tm] should clear them up.

It's still a consistency issue though.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
The PROOF of the CODING is in the READING