List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Changes
From:       Jonathan Singer <jsinger () genome ! wi ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2001-06-25 2:25:17

Lauri Watts wrote:
>I had this after it changed and spent the better part of 2 days fighting with
>it.  I haven't heard anyone else having it, or maybe all the developers just
>know what to do about it :(
>
>The *only* way I could sort it out was to do a completely remove any and al
>traces of libxml2 and libxslt from my entire file system, fresh install (a
>new $KDEDIR, a completely empty builddir for kdesupport and libs).
.
.
>I hate pre-release time CVS :(

Disclaimers:
1) I'm not trying to knock anyone's work.
2) I haven't been following the politics or technical details of the XML
viewer work so I apologize if I'm way off base here, but...

...given how badly this whole system is working right now, is relying on it
for the upcoming release a good idea? As much as I hated jade, it seemed to
me that users would be better off with the old pregenerated HTML files, as
they're much faster loading and can be viewed in any browser. I was hoping
that packagers would be encouraged to do their builds that way.

But at this point, it looks like the XML viewer is a long way from working
reliably at all. Is the plan to make it the default for help display in
2.2? If so, can I suggest reevaluating the plan?

Again, I'm not trying to criticize anyone. I'm just concerned there's going
to be a major problem here.