List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio-concept
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-09-04 23:01:12

On Tue 04 Sep 01 23:22, Tobias Wollgam wrote:
> > > Sometimes applications hang up and never come back to live, because the
> > > io-slave is dead or busy or ...
> >
> > Does it happen with all ioslaves or only with a special one ?
>
> It's the same with all ioslaves ... I use KDE on three computers and
> everywhere the same problem and I know other poeple with these problems
> too. The only thing, which is equal, that is the distribution: SuSE.

Hmm.....
Maybe the kernel, glibc, X, multithreaded Qt, Qt with exceptions, ... ?

/me clueless

> > (I shouldn't ask this, I'm afraid it could be the problem with the smb
> > ioslave which already other users reported and which I can't reproduce
> > :-(
>
> this one is realy bad: one smb access and there are ~8 smb ioslaves which
> eat 100% cpu time. (but I think, its a special slave problem)

I saw this once on a Suse machine, but there was no development stuff
installed, so I couldn't do much.
Actually I have no idea how this can take 100% cpu, in the whole ioslave
there is no loop which can cause this. Every loop contains a select() with 1
second or terminates determinated, so they can't take 100% cpu. Very strange.

> > I never experienced problems like this.
> > Please describe how to reproduce.
>
> What happens if a slave is killed or hangs??? Is it so, that in such a case
> the master process hangs too? (-> kill or stop a working slave).

Once I managed to get the smb ioslave to hang on my own machine (this
happened when the files are exported but without read access, it is fixed in
the meantime), the only effect was that the wheel didn't stop turning. Simply
pressing stop helped.

> > Ok, IMO the ioslaves are *the* biggest advantage of KDE apps. :-)
>
> Maybe in theory, but in practice it is not working very well ... sorry ...
> I think this behaviour is more ugly than a coredump.

Ok, so what can we do ?
Please try to find a way how to reproduce this behaviour on your machine and
post it here. "Sometimes apps hang" doesn't help very much in finding the
real problem.

> If you are interested in discussing this problem, we should turn to german
> language ...

I think keeping it in english is better.
There are other people around who know this stuff better.

Bye
Alex