List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kdebase strange compile problem
From:       Ben Burton <bburton () mail ! math ! okstate ! edu>
Date:       2001-09-02 0:01:11

> You wont beleve me but im telling you that my computer crashes completly (no
> reaction on the terminals and on the network) when i compile kdebase.

Is it possible that you're running out of memory?  I had the odd occasion
in the past when I compiled koffice and the machine locked up completely
because it had completely filled up all of the RAM *and* all of the swap
space.

Try running the System Monitor applet on the panel (which gives you a
memory monitor for RAM and swap space) to see if this is the problem.  If
so, have a look through your linux distribution for swapd - this is a
program that will create extra swap space on the fly when the usual swap
space is full.  It slows the machine down like crazy but stops it from
crashing.

Ben.