List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Lost in KMail Source
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-08-30 15:09:53

On Thursday 30 August 2001 15:57, ian reinhart geiser wrote:

> i  sort of see why it was never implemented.  My problem is I have an

Well, the main reason is still that no one did the job yet.

> exchange server on the other end and no winders box.  Is there a way via
> imap commands to configure filters?  I do notice when I apply my existing

At least not with standard command or any extensions I'm aware of, but there
are tools like procmail.

> filters to an IMAP folder strange and interesting things happen.  All of my
> messages disappear and then reapear multiple times.  Is this a
> manifestation of the problem? I am not sure I see the problems with async
> actions here.  When I first looked at this problem I looked at it from the
> point of view that I was selecting certain messages and them moving them to
> another folder.  Is this not the case?

Actually that should work, at least it worked the last time I tried it. You
just can only filter to local destination folders yet.

> I am still not clear on why we cannot call the  imap kio slave and  just
> ask for a directory listing to get the IMAP folders...   I may not grasp
> the entire situation yet.  I apologize if I am slow to this, I am more
> involved with KDevelop and know the source to that much better.  KMail is
> still a strange new beast to me.

It probably doesn't make much sense to ask the server several times per
minute, when a folder listing is required, so better use the locally cached
copy.
Also we do mostly need to know more about the folder, than just the name, if
we don't want to be very ineffective.

Regards,
Michael Häckel