List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Lost in KMail Source
From:       ian reinhart geiser <geiseri () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-30 13:57:17

On Thursday 30 August 2001 09:34 am, Michael Häckel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 30 August 2001 14:14, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > 	I am a firm believer in the idea that every feature request should
> > involve a patch but I am stuck.  I am trying to make KMail email filters
> > see imap
>
> Great!
>
> > based folders.  I thought this would be a cut and paste type of job
> > because you can already right click on a message and move it to a
> > different imap folder.  The problem is I cannot find for the life of me
> > where the context menu for the folders list is populated.  Can someone at
> > least point me to a .cpp file and maby event the function name :)
>
> First of all, if you want to work on IMAP, you should use the CVS HEAD
> version, since there were major code moving changes since the release.

yes that is the version of source I am working with.

> You can get a list of local and imap folders with
> KMFolderTree::createFolderList(), but note that the main problem is
> actually not the list, but advanced error handling that is required, since
> IMAP transfer is asyncronous. If KMail can't connect to the server, it
> shouldn't eat the mail though.
>
> For filtering within an IMAP account that problem probably dosn't appear.
> The filter dialog needs probably an additional entry for every Account in
> the "apply on" combo box to prevent mail chaos.
>
> I actually still think, that client side IMAP filtering is broken by
> design, but many people request it, and it is propably useful for all
> people that don't have the possibility to do that on the server.
i  sort of see why it was never implemented.  My problem is I have an
exchange server on the other end and no winders box.  Is there a way via imap
commands to configure filters?  I do notice when I apply my existing filters
to an IMAP folder strange and interesting things happen.  All of my messages
disappear and then reapear multiple times.  Is this a manifestation of the
problem? I am not sure I see the problems with async actions here.  When I
first looked at this problem I looked at it from the point of view that I was
selecting certain messages and them moving them to another folder.  Is this
not the case?

I am still not clear on why we cannot call the  imap kio slave and  just ask
for a directory listing to get the IMAP folders...   I may not grasp the
entire situation yet.  I apologize if I am slow to this, I am more involved
with KDevelop and know the source to that much better.  KMail is still a
strange new beast to me.

Thanks for your help
-ian reinhart geiser