List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KWinTV
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-14 20:32:33

Hi George, others...

First - glad to see the mail server is back online ;)

I was thinking about an idea while I read this email from george..

I have been playing with ffmpeg lately (as some of you who are in #kde know -
thanks for helping) - and I think it would be a great idea to implement the
ffmpeg into kwinTV (to record TV shows), noatun and other multimedia parts...

Some words about ffmpeg: (http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net):
ffmpeg is a program that allows you to capture audio and video in real-time,
it works very fast even on pretty-low end machines, it's also a conversion
program between multimedia formats, and it's got a broadcast server.

The entire idea of ffmpeg is that all the codecs are more or less do the same
stuff - and ffmpeg shows that. You don't need tons of DLL's or .so files for
it - fact is - you don't need a single .so file.

There are few advantages of ffmpeg - and I'll list them:

1. Very active development - I see lots of "familiar" faces from other
projects like Xine, Mplayer, AviPlay and other projects are participating.

2. The current version (0.4.5 - should be out in a day or 2) - is pretty
stable.

3. It supports lots of codecs natively: ac3,mp2,mpeg1video,h263,h263p,rv10
(real video), mjpeg,opendivx,msmpeg4,pcm,rawvideo - and thats just for
encoding - it supports much more for file conversions.

4. No needs for any DLL's or WineLib.

5. Very small - currently the only file that you need is a 1 executable file
which takes 1M.

6. Legal - it's under GPL and all the work was done using a "clean room"
implementation.

I think that since we're in the stage of major version development - it would
be a good idea to integrate it..

Suggestions? comments?

Thanks,
--