List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KWinTV
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-14 20:14:16

Hello Everyone!

   This is a note to inform you that I have received no feedback from the
KWinTV author and he doesn't seem to have done any work on it since November,
so I am starting to maintain it myself in KDE CVS.  It's in rather rough
shape right now, but it does work and I have fixed many bugs already.  I have
also applied a patch by Stefan Hellwig which makes the channel scanner work
and implements a brand new channel file format.

   Things are stable enough for me right now, but I can find ways to crash it
still, and some things just aren't being done in a nice way.  Ideally it
could use a complete rewrite since it was originally based on KDE 1.x but I
just don't have time for that.  So for now, I'm just going to plug away at my
TODO list which I have added to the app in CVS.  You can find it under
kdenonbeta/kwintv.  This is not in the main build because it doesn't use the
KDE build system yet.  I'm not a pro at that, so it will take a while to
merge it.  For now I will continue to make releases fairly frequently at
http://www.staikos.on.ca/~staikos/kwintv/.

   I would really appreciate any help that anyone could lend.  I know that
many of you use this application and it would be nice to get it back in
shape.  I'm considering dropping all KDE 1.x support from it now, and I'm
particularily interested in getting the build system switched over to the KDE
style.  Number one on my TODO list though, is to fix the colour depth/bpp
code.  Right now it will not work on my machine at a depth of 24.  Xawtv does
so I am looking at how it manages.  Number two on my TODO list is to get
image scaling in place instead of using video mode changes to simulate
fullscreen.  Scaling looks _so_ much nicer on my machine anyways.

   So please, if you use this app and you know anything about KDE build
system, icons, docs, or coding.... please lend a hand.   Even good bug
reports will be very useful.

Thanks!

--

George Staikos