List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: nspluginviewer still crashes
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () suse ! com>
Date:       2001-08-10 23:09:07

On Friday 10 August 2001 02:48 pm, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> On Friday 10 August 2001 12:57 pm, Philipp Siegert wrote:
> > on http://www.sunremo.de nspluginviewer still crashes with my CVS builds
> > from today. The branch is KDE_2_2_RELEASE. The QT version is not compiled
> > with opengl support.
> > Can anyone reproduce that ?

Hehe.. actually, this one is somewhat funny.  It's a problem between the
nspluginviewer and (get this) KTempFile!  The viewer uses a temp file when
extension to create a random temp name of the form <filePrefix><random
number><file extension>.  Now the plugin viewer passes along null as the
prefix and the filename of the remote object as the extension.

This works great normally because KTempFile is pretty flexible.  In fact,
there really is only one major caveat to using KTempFile.. the file extension
can never have the 'X' character in it.  Can you see where we're going? :-)

The plugin viewer passes along the filename as the extension.. no matter what
the file name is.  It was just a matter of time until it came across a
filename that had an 'X' in it.  And it did on this page.  The
JUKEBOX_mute.SWF file has the deadly X!  hehe..

Hmm.. probably the best fix for this is to munge the filename in
nspluginviewer.  I'll do that as soon as my current compile finishes.
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop