List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mom test
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-08 16:44:47

On Wednesday 08 August 2001 13:26, Klas Kalass wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 August 2001 13:08, Richard Stevens wrote:

> This leads to a look-N-Feel discussion, but I think a really good solution
> would be to have a global "user-level" setting for KDE3. This would decide
> about the level and amount of options shown to the user and also about the
> default settings.
> There need to be at least two different user-levels:
> -newbie
> -experienced user

This never works, for reasons of simple human pride.  Nobody wants to think
of themselves as a newbie, everyone wants to see what neat stuff they might
be missing that only the experienced users get to see.

The idea itself isn't bad, but it shouldn't be labelled this way.  Label it
"Do you want buttons for everything on the screen" vs "Only the minimum
buttons for the common things, use the menus for other functions" or.. well
just about anything other than newbie (== you aren't "cool" yet) vs
experienced (== oh yes, you're one of the elite)

Even your other idea of "make it simple" for beginners, vs "make it
convenient" for non-beginners, can be turned entirely around.  For many
experienced users, the less buttons the better, many turn toolbars entirely
off, or customise them so they only have a very few buttons on - that's
convenient for such people, when you don't have to hunt through 15 icons you
never use for the three you do.  For many beginners, having all the icons
available, but labelled, is the only way they ever find out the many things
an application can do.

My personal opinion, have kpersonalizer offer to label the icons (with text
aside, not inside :),  and not make anything that can be perceived as value
judgements on the experience or lack of experience of the user.

People realy really don't like to think of themselves as newbies.  Even the
ones who write for support with "Newbie Question" are generally happier if
you tell them "no, that's not a newbie question, it's quite hard to find"
before you answer them.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts