List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Moving KTouch
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-08 16:46:15

On Wednesday 08 August 2001 08:26, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8. August 2001 02:40, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Friday 10 August 2001 05:01 pm, Haavard Froeiland wrote:
> > > KTouch is a small education application for learning to touch type. I
> > > would like to move it from kdenonbeta to one of the packages being
> > > released.
> > >
> > > It would be nice to have it in kde, since there is many people out
> > > there who want to learn to touch type, and especially for schools
> > > installing kde.
> > >
> > > http://ktouch.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Seems like an excelent candidate for the recently created module
> > "kdeedu". There is also a special mailinglist for educational issues in
> > the form of kde-edu@kde.org.
>
> Yes, please. KTouch is one of my strongest arguments for school teachers
> asking for software to use at schools under KDE since LinuxTag _last_ year
> :) so please move that. Also there are other apps on apps.kde.com that
> would fit there. Anyone of the kde-edu people already had a look and asked
> the maintainers of these programs ?

One of the problems with ktouch last time this was proposed was the
difficulty of creating useful word lists in other languages.  I think it's a
neat little app too, but it'd be even more useful in multiple languages,
especially the ones that things like Mavis Beacon never get translated to.

There must be standardised typing drills in other languages, just as there
are in English.  I expect someone like Pitmans have theirs heavily
copyrighted, but perhaps there are public domain ones out there.  This really
needs to be looked into, if we don't provide word lists,  then it will break
the application in any language and on any other keyboard layout than
English.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts