List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2 tagged
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-07 19:26:00

On Tuesday 07 August 2001 11:57 am, Andreas Pour wrote:
> This raises the bigger point:  why package all kinds of programs that
> have a small user base into a core package?

We have no core packages. All the packages released by the KDE project are
created equal and are packaged in a way that is convenient for _us_. The size
of the user base of an application is not a criteria for inclusion in KDE.

> At least if this is done shouldn't there be an easy way for packagers to
> split them into individual files?

There is, see kdesdk, some distributions actually do that.

> Also something to take into account is that most KDE books cover the
> apps in the core packages.  Why should they devote a chapter to these
> programs if they have a small following?

My understanding of the wonderfull world of book publishing is that you have
editors who keep themselves busy which such difficult questions. I don't, and
I don't care.

Cheers,
Waldo
--