List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Printer configuring
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-08-01 12:00:19

> |   Option              Possible in Qt-2.3.x
> |   ------              --------------------
> |   pagesize            Yes
> |   orientation         Yes
> |   margins                     No
> |
> |   Any other idea?
>
> * Default paper tray
>   (for laser printers, with 2+ paper trays)
> I have used printer with 5 paper trays, so it really matters.
> * printing quality (dpi: 360/720/1440/2880, for Epson Stylus printer;
> 300/600/1200 dpi for modern lasers)
> * Paper Type (normal/coated/photo paper/glossy paper/glossy film)
>  -> matters for inkjets, not lasers
> * optional for Epson InkJets - MicroWeave On/Off

Those settings are *very* printer-specific, and more to be set in driver
options from the print dialog. Here I'm talking about some generic settings
that could be applied to any printer: input slot, paper type, resolution
and Epson specific are not. If you have a good PPD file that supports all
these, then you will be able to select these either in the printer manager
when configuring your printer, or from the print dialog when printing.
But I don't think they should appear in a generic config dialog: they
would be senseless in most cases.

Michael.