List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Faster startups by fixing C++ object files before linking (new version and results)
From:       Roberto Teixeira <maragato () conectiva ! com ! br>
Date:       2001-07-31 12:55:09

Em Sex 27 Jul 2001 21:51, Lauri Watts escreveu:
> On Saturday 28 July 2001 02:21, Andreas Pour wrote:
> > Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I fully support this. It's a great improvement for me at least :)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > While I think too this is a great innovation, is it really appropriate
> > to release this w/out a beta test in a stable release?  Who knows what
> > different combinations of binutils/linkers/loaders/compilers will do.
> > It might cause rather severe problems, making KDE unusable.  Some of
> > these problems could be avoided if there was a "configure" switch
> > labelled "experimental" to enable this, and then the distros can at
> > least verify that it works on their particular systems when building the
> > packages.
>
> Or, put it in place for 2.2.1, and that gives us a month or so of testing
> (if anyone but the docs and translators will be testing in 2.2.1 that is!)

IMHO, this is just a too big improvement to be left aside. The speed gain is
considerable and we'd be reducing, if not killing, one of the most common
(_the_ most common?) complains about KDE: speed.

OTOH, I really think we should not let it be included as default, so I am
really in favor of using a configure option, disabled by default.

	Roberto.

--
Roberto Teixeira, maragato@conectiva.com, maragato@kde.org