List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: reason behind fno-exceptions?
From:       Daniel Schmitt <pnambic () unu ! nu>
Date:       2001-07-30 22:44:49

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 00:28, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > What's wrong with C++ exceptions, besides the fact that they cause
> > large memory overhead with gcc ?
>
> "besides" ? I think that single argument is convincing enough... Actually,
> I also think it's the only argument, but I haven't heard stronger arguments
> that often...

This whole thread made me experiment a bit, and now I'm positively confused.
On my system / compiler (x86, Linux 2.4.7, glibc 2.2.3, gcc 2.95.3), I can't
get more than about a tenth of a percent reduction in resident set size
through -fno-exceptions from a couple of toy projects, regardless of whether
the code was using exceptions originally or not. Under what circumstances
does this overhead become noticeable? Maybe only in shared libraries?

Ciao,

Daniel.

--
pnambic@unu.nu -- Pay No Attention to the Man BehInd the Curtain