List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-28 7:52:24

On Saturday, 28. July 2001 01:06, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

Ok, now comes my $0.02 on this.

a)
Q: How does Windows point to start on their first startup ?
A: Yes, they do because it's necessary for the languages where start isn't
translated or commonly used. Windows 95/NT4 have a label that comes from the
right with an arrow pointing to the start button. The label moves across the
bar and bumps to the start button with an animation. The user notices the
animation and reads the text saying this button is intended to start stuff
and the first thing they need to do is open it. Windows2000/ME has this
Tipdialog that has an image where a mousepointer moves over to the start
button and opens the menu in an animated gif (I think).  Winodows XP has a
different color (green) while the rest of the panel is blue.

Q: How could we do it ?
A: There are two things that need to be done: a)Add a dcop call to kicker to
open the menu. Implement a call in ktip that on exit the menu is opened.
Another option is to add a config option to kicker that does that, but
preferrably the opening of the k menu should happen right away after the ktip
is closed as it is a modal dialog and needs to be quitted. An opened k menu
at the same time is confusing. b) is to use the kicker tiles to only tile the
K button with a special tile by default The tile can be set in kpersonalizer
automatically due to the used color scheme set by the theme selection; if the
user already had KDE in use then don't set the tile (because the user already
knows how to handle KDE).

Another question I have open is how does MacOS do this ? I also saw on
mosfet's site that he's working on a better macos menu, which I think is a
good start to incorporate into KDE because it's really a good thing to
enhance that one like his screenshots already show.

Ralf