List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kmidi problems
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2001-07-26 18:03:14

Hi!
  Today I was asked to play a midi file. I tried to use kmidi but i was surprised
  because kmidi seemed to me to be in a very unfinished state.
  1) It tried to use /dev/dsp. No symptoms about knowing arts. Is it my fault or
     a reality ?
  2) When tried to advance the song by the slider, the sound changed to the very
     intensive sound of something like a circular saw. I was unable to play until
     quitting kmidi and starting again. I see the same for i.e. RealPlayer.
     It can be the problem with the soundcard driver (via-686b). But for arts access,
     as well as xmms, it works.
  3) When something is not found (a song, a patchset, a config file), kmidi very often
     crashes.
  4) Sometimes kmidi closed its window but stayed alive, blocking the dsp.
  5) The configuration, especially installing the sound font, is horrible (editing
     timidity.conf), its syntax etc...
  Had I only a bad luck, or does kmidi work for somebody smoothly ? Is it ready
to be shipped in 2.2 ?
                                        With regards, Pavel Troller