List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kghostview pdf-problems PRINTING
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-07-16 11:22:02

On Sunday 15 July 2001 11:33, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
|   On Sunday 15 July 2001 14:16, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > On Saturday 14 July 2001 20:35, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
|   > |   Hi!
|   > |   May I point to the fact that kghostview (or my setup?) has a lot of
|   > | problems displaying pdf files. IMHO they should be fixed for KDE2.2.
|   >
|   > What version of GhostScript do you have?
|   > GS 5.50 shipped by most of distros, is pretty old. (and it can handle
|   > only PDF 1.3, AFAIK)
|   > GNU GS 6.51 is out, besides there is a AFPL GS 7.0 which you can use
|   > privatly. Both of them should handle correctly PDF 1.3
|
|   I usualy try with 6.50. and alternate with 5.50
|
|   The problem I was addressing is that pinting a PDF file out of kghostview
| is not possible. Can you check this please.

My printer is *out of ink*, can't check, but preview ofr PDF works.
It still *EATS* several lines of text on top of the page, though.
I guess it is cutting around 1"-0.8" on top.
But I noticied that it happens not always. PDF files generated in Windows
display ok, as well as some other PDFs.
Don't know what is the reason for that, needs extra testing ;-)

|   preview produces an empty page.
|
|   print to file (ps,pdf) produces a very short file with some PS /PDF
|   information but without actual content of the page.

Print to file (PS) works ok.
I usally use ps2pdf afterwards to convert PS file to PDF format.
(you should noticy that in may cases original PS file rendered better than
PDF, due to *font embedding* issues)

BTW: you may want to try "pdfopt", which optimizes PDF in several ways.
I know that GS hackers are working now on enhancing it.

Do you have KWord file, which _rejects to print to PS_ (or to PDF)?
I can try it here.
My setup, in terms of printing, is rather customized already.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)