List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How kdesktop set its background?
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-06 19:46:13

On Friday, 6. July 2001 19:55, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 06 July 2001 20:00, Minakata Moriya wrote:
> > Hau!
> >
> > I'm not a programmer but I'm interested in how kdesktop set its
> > wallpapers. I know that kdesktop fills the root window and put things
> > like icons on its "space", leaving the X's root window empty.
> >
> > But there are programs that read the root window for transparency effects
> > (like X-Chat)... I was talking with X-Chat's developer and he doesn't
> > know anything about how KDE works on this, so I'm asking in this list...
> >
> > What's the best way? Putting a option for KDE set the root window too, or
> > programs like X-Chat geting the wallpaper from kdesktop? If the second is
> > the choice, how can the application get the wallpaper?
> >
> > That's it, thanks ^_^
>
> Try activating the option in "Configure Desktop" that is called "Support
> Programs in Desktop Window" (and read the what's this for it), it might fix
> your problem. (Note: you need 2.2-beta1 for this)
Hmm, not sure about that.

kdesktop sets two properties for background pixmap for compatiblity to
exactly that class of applications: "ESETROOT_PMAP_ID" and
"_XROOTPMAP_ID". If xchat works under E, then it will work with kdesktop too.

Greetings, Stephan

--
People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.