List:       kde-devel
Subject:    root Config files and KControl
From:       Craig Drummond <cpdrummond () freeuk ! com>
Date:       2001-07-03 12:17:17

Hi,

I'm writning a KControl module - which can be run as a normal user, and
root (by selecting the 'root' button in the bottom-right hand corner of
KControl).

The module saves some information in its own <modulename>rc config file.
This works OK for the normal user. However, when the user decides to
become root by pressing the 'root' button, everything in the module
works OK - but no information is written back to root's <modulename>rc
file. Is this a problem due to embedding root's module within KControl
running as a non-root user? If so, how can I get around this?

Basically my module's for installing fonts. When a non-root user uses
it, the fonts will be installed into $KDEHOME/share/fonts/, and when
the module is run as root, then /usr/X11R6/..etc will be used. So I
liked the idea of allowing the user to install their own fonts, and
then 'become' root to install system fonts.

Ciao

Craig.