List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OT: Re: Patch to add direct FTP proxy support in kio_ftp
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-07-02 9:20:54

Malte Starostik wrote:

> On Samstag, 30. Juni 2001 11:37, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > PS: Passive mode has some disadvantages because many windows clients out
> > there default to active mode and sometimes even can't switch to passive
> > (windows' own ftp.exe program for example). Also, I'm not sure you can do
> > everything with passive FTP as you can with active (file uploading amongst
> > others). But nevermind this PS, this was not the topic of the thread...
> IIRC the RFC states that every FTP server and client implementation MUST
> provide support for passive mode, so these clients are just broken. File
> upload works fine with passive mode as does everything else. The only problem
> with a firewall that disallows active FTP is IMHO that you can't use FXP
> (direct transfer between two servers), but many servers disallow that anyway
> for security reasons.

I'm not an expert about FTP passive and active mode, but the reason why I had
to disable passive mode using DeLeGaTe FTP proxy, is that it didn't seem
to work with the PASV command: each time kio_ftp tried to send this command,
the proxy server never answered and the kio_ftp hang up. Now when the passive
mode is disabled, kio_ftp uses the PORT command, but the proxy translates it
to PASV, and that works OK. Here's a part of the kio_ftp debug output:

kio_ftp: cwd /pub
kio_ftp: resp> 250 Changed to /pub
kio_ftp:
kio_ftp: type A
kio_ftp: resp> 200 TYPE is now ASCII
kio_ftp:
kio_ftp: port 146,103,10,220,4,40
kio_ftp: resp> 200 PORT command successful [translated to PASV by DeleGate].
kio_ftp:
kio_ftp: list -a
kio_ftp: resp> 150 Accepted data connection from 146.103.254.12:3966
kio_ftp:

Bye.
Michael.