List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch to add direct FTP proxy support in kio_ftp
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-30 9:37:12

On Saturday 30 June 2001 03:58, David Ankers wrote:
> I wouldn't describe a firewall that doesn't allow active ftp as "broken",
> I'd say it working quite well. Any good firewall that does traffic
> inspection to allow returning traffic is going to need passive mode, what's
> the current default for kio_ftp by the way?

Passive, which is why I think one global option for both direct FTP and
proxied FTP is a bit risky. OTOH, I don't think you can tell KIO to bypass
the proxy anyway if you haven't put the url in the 'do not use proxy for...'
box.

Hmmm....

Martijn

PS: Passive mode has some disadvantages because many windows clients out
there default to active mode and sometimes even can't switch to passive
(windows' own ftp.exe program for example). Also, I'm not sure you can do
everything with passive FTP as you can with active (file uploading amongst
others). But nevermind this PS, this was not the topic of the thread...