List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fonts Not Accessible
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-29 17:53:14

On Friday 29 June 2001 14:58, Pascal Francq wrote:
> Hi¸
> On my Mandrake 8.0, I have the following problem:
> There are some fonts (Ex.: LucidaTypeWriter) present on the machine,
> accessible from within kde with root, but I can select this font for kde
> when I am logged with my normal user.
> I suppose this is a access problem, but I have no idea where to search.
> Thanks in advance.

If root does not use font anti-aliasing (Xft) , but the user does, it might
be caused by missing directories in the XftConfig file.

Otherwise you should indeed check the access permissions. Usually fonts are
stored in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts, but you can look at the fontpath
declarations in /etc/X11/XF86Config what actual paths your distro uses. AFAIK
the fontpaths are _only_ for legacy font support, Xft again relies on the
XftConfig files or a .XftConfig in your home. I don't know the default
location of a system-wide XftConfig, I guess that is either
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 or /etc/X11, but I'm not sure about this.

Martijn