List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch to add direct FTP proxy support in kio_ftp
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-06-29 16:05:49

Dawit Alemayehu wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Can update kdelibs/kio and try the following patch please.
> The patch assumes that the proxy FTP server does not require
> you to login, but the remote server can as needed.

OK, I tried and it works, but I needed to adjust a little bit
how the "user" command is constructed to make it work:

instead of

if ( m_bUseProxy )
  tempbuf += '@' + m_host.latin1();

I had to use

if ( m_bUseProxy )
{
  tempbuf += "@";
  tempbuf += m_host.latin1();
}

Otherwise, tempbuf only contains "user <login>" instead of the
wanted "user <login>@<host>". Note also that you could add in
this if statement the following:

  if ( m_port > 0 && m_port != 21 )
  {
    tempbuf += ":";
    tempbuf += QString::number( m_port ).latin1();
  }

But as I said, I coudn't test it because of a missing FTP server
running on an "exotic" port. I also had to keep a kio_ftprc file
with the single line "DisablePassiveMode=false", this setting
should be kept in mind when redesigning the proxy config dialog.

A final note concerning FTP proxy, but I think there's no solution
for it: when the FTP proxy is unable to connect to the remote
host (for any reason), it answers with the tag "530", like a wrong
user/login pair. In konqueror you then get the password dialog
instead of something saying "Cannot connect to host". This is
rather confusing, but once you'r used to it, it's OK.

Thanks for your help, I guess you'll commit changes to ftp.cc soon.

Bye.
Michael.