List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch to add direct FTP proxy support in kio_ftp
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-28 20:42:17

On Thursday 28 June 2001 13:57, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> Just to be clear (I have the impression to be the only one with such a FTP
> proxy server),

Yes :)

> here's an example on how to use the FTP proxy:
>
> bash % ftp ftpproxy 8028
> ftp> user anonymous@ftp.kde.org
> password:
> ftp>
>
> Then you're connected to ftp.kde.org, and you can work transparently, as if
> you would have started directly with "ftp ftp.kde.org". This is how the ftp
> proxy server works, and it is really a FTP server.

Ahhh... I see how this works now.

> To be able to use it in Konqueror, I found 2 ways:
> - use URL's like ftp://anonymous%40ftp.kde.org@ftpproxy:8028, what I would
> call the boring way. Furthermore, it fails each time you change the view,
> because once typed to URL is reformatted as ftp://anonymous@ftp.kde.org@ftpproxy:8028,
> in the combo box, which is clearly a wrong URL, and the new view uses it.

Because you are not supposed to enter the URL like that :)  and we have to
fix kio_ftp to support direct ftp proxy.  Then all you have to type is the actual
url as usual.  I will take care of that now that I understand how this is supposed
to work :)

> - hack kio_ftp so that:
>     . redirect connection to the FTP proxy server/port

This is the approach we are going to take just like it is done in kio_http :)  We will
add a flag and a url to hold the proxy url sent from the scheduler.  It should be
simple enough to fix...

[snipped]

> > > - This won't work with auto-proxy configuration, which is my case,
> > > because what you propose implies to use manual proxy configuration, an
> > > auto-proxy will override everything, and the auto-proxy will of course
> > > redirect you to the classical HTTP proxy
> >
> > Nope.  Perhaps I should have been a bit more clearer about this.  The
> > scheduler, which manages the io-slaves, determines whether or not a proxy
> > is supposed to
> >
> > be used for the current connection by looking at one overloaded function:
> > ::slaveProtocol.  These functions determine which io-slave is the actual
> > :: io-slave
> >
> > that should be used to retreive the request.  Usually, i.e. when no proxy
> > useage is requested, this does not matter, but if proxy useage is
> > necessary then the most common setup is to route requests over the http
> > io-slave since most proxy servers communicate over HTTP.  And this is
> > where the problem comes in.  In the two overloaded functions, we have
> > hard-coded the io-slave to be "http" whenever an FTP connection is
> > requested instead of honoring what the user-setup.  In other words we
> > completely ignore the fact that people such as yourself might have direct
> > FTP proxy servers as well.  This is what my patch fixes.  It simply
> > changes this hard-coded "http" limitation and instead determines the
> > io-slave to use from the "protocol" of the actual proxy server URL.
>
> OK, I looked at the recent code (revision 1.95 of kprotocolmanager.cpp),
> and it still won't work in my case, because the FTP proxy is not part of
> the auto-proxy script. This script will return either DIRECT or a HTTP
> proxy, never the FTP proxy.  That's why I have to override the auto-proxy
> settings and to add the test before the switch statement.

I see.

> But I guess then it is more a local configuration problem, and the script
> should be changed (unfortunately, I don't have acces to it, or maybe I
> should use a local copy of it, hacked).

Right since you can change the script to return whatever you want it to.
You know what we might be able to add a workaround for this without you
having to hack a local copy.  Stay tuned...

> Another point is that those changes to KProtocolManager are useless if you
> don't patch ftp.cc also, otherwise kio_ftp won't know how to handle a FTP
> proxy server.

Right.  Need to fix kio_ftp.

Regards,
Dawit A.