On Thursday 28 June 2001 13:57, Michael Goffioul wrote: > Just to be clear (I have the impression to be the only one with such a FTP > proxy server), Yes :) > here's an example on how to use the FTP proxy: > > bash % ftp ftpproxy 8028 > ftp> user anonymous@ftp.kde.org > password: > ftp> > > Then you're connected to ftp.kde.org, and you can work transparently, as if > you would have started directly with "ftp ftp.kde.org". This is how the ftp > proxy server works, and it is really a FTP server. Ahhh... I see how this works now. > To be able to use it in Konqueror, I found 2 ways: > - use URL's like ftp://anonymous%40ftp.kde.org@ftpproxy:8028, what I would > call the boring way. Furthermore, it fails each time you change the view, > because once typed to URL is reformatted as ftp://anonymous@ftp.kde.org@ftpproxy:8028, > in the combo box, which is clearly a wrong URL, and the new view uses it. Because you are not supposed to enter the URL like that :) and we have to fix kio_ftp to support direct ftp proxy. Then all you have to type is the actual url as usual. I will take care of that now that I understand how this is supposed to work :) > - hack kio_ftp so that: > . redirect connection to the FTP proxy server/port > . change "user " command to "user @:" as you This is the approach we are going to take just like it is done in kio_http :) We will add a flag and a url to hold the proxy url sent from the scheduler. It should be simple enough to fix... [snipped] > > > - This won't work with auto-proxy configuration, which is my case, > > > because what you propose implies to use manual proxy configuration, an > > > auto-proxy will override everything, and the auto-proxy will of course > > > redirect you to the classical HTTP proxy > > > > Nope. Perhaps I should have been a bit more clearer about this. The > > scheduler, which manages the io-slaves, determines whether or not a proxy > > is supposed to > > > > be used for the current connection by looking at one overloaded function: > > ::slaveProtocol. These functions determine which io-slave is the actual > > :: io-slave > > > > that should be used to retreive the request. Usually, i.e. when no proxy > > useage is requested, this does not matter, but if proxy useage is > > necessary then the most common setup is to route requests over the http > > io-slave since most proxy servers communicate over HTTP. And this is > > where the problem comes in. In the two overloaded functions, we have > > hard-coded the io-slave to be "http" whenever an FTP connection is > > requested instead of honoring what the user-setup. In other words we > > completely ignore the fact that people such as yourself might have direct > > FTP proxy servers as well. This is what my patch fixes. It simply > > changes this hard-coded "http" limitation and instead determines the > > io-slave to use from the "protocol" of the actual proxy server URL. > > OK, I looked at the recent code (revision 1.95 of kprotocolmanager.cpp), > and it still won't work in my case, because the FTP proxy is not part of > the auto-proxy script. This script will return either DIRECT or a HTTP > proxy, never the FTP proxy. That's why I have to override the auto-proxy > settings and to add the test before the switch statement. I see. > But I guess then it is more a local configuration problem, and the script > should be changed (unfortunately, I don't have acces to it, or maybe I > should use a local copy of it, hacked). Right since you can change the script to return whatever you want it to. You know what we might be able to add a workaround for this without you having to hack a local copy. Stay tuned... > Another point is that those changes to KProtocolManager are useless if you > don't patch ftp.cc also, otherwise kio_ftp won't know how to handle a FTP > proxy server. Right. Need to fix kio_ftp. Regards, Dawit A. >> Visit http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<