List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Quanta
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-06-28 8:56:58

> > Well, I did not say that you should give up Quanta or merge it with
> > KDevelop :-)
> Actually we were thinking more of elves coding while we slept. ;-)

Oh, now I understand the point 'George Staikos and slave authors'
in the 2.3 features list ;-)

> Since you mentioned things on the do list for PHP matching up was folding
> text in there? I have pulled down and built Gideon recently but have not
> looked at it extensively.

No, the editor is basically a version of kwrite from earlier this year
where I have added breakpoints and bookmarks. Christoph has already
merged this functionality into kate. I think any additional features
should be implemented directly in the kate part.

> As for the rest of the PHP stuff maybe we should
> exchange info. I have been looking at building some Perl scripts to extract
> PHP commands from the docs. From there it becomes an issue of how to format
> and use the information.

I had looked at using xslt for that, but given up at some point because
this language produces knots in my brain ;-) Anyway, I'm sure this is
a point where you should get in contact with Sandy (smeier@kdevelop.org).

> Scripting for us has been rather simple. Dima enabled shell access so that
> any language on the system could be used. What I have been doing lately is
> working with Kaptain as a dialog scripting language. It would be good after
> the 2.2 release to see about getting it into KDE. It enables powerful dialog
> creation from simple scripts and would allow for integration with other
> scripting languages.

Does that work in both directions? In KDevelop, you can add menu items
and connect them with Python functions. You can also connect to DCOP
signals (like projectOpened()). OTOH, producing a GUI from Python is
not yet possible because I couldn't get PyQt to work as a dynamically
loaded module.

> Also speaking of parts and such... have you thought of this approach with
> Cervisia, or DCOP enabling? Cervisia is such a great tool. Every time I think
> of cvs enabling Quanta I think of how much I like Cervisia but as yet have no
> clear vision as to the best way to approach integration.

I don't have either... I hope Rich comes up with something useful :-)

Bernd.