List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch to add direct FTP proxy support in kio_ftp
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-27 16:16:52

Hi Michael,

Personally I see few problems with this patch:

The first one of my concerns/problems is with the '@' workaround.  IMHO noone
should circumvent a standard and send un-encoded '@' when the specification
explicitly states otherwise.  See RFC 2396 section 3.2.  Though this might have
worked for you in this particular scenario for now, there is no guarantee this will
work on for everyone or even for you down the road because the remote machine(s)
at some point and time might not accept the un-encoded '@' in the username.  You
have to be careful with such hacks since it possibly involves machines beyond your
control.  My only advice here is you change the username if possible.

The other problem is that the KProtocolManager patch is well wrong for luck of better
words.  We currently do not allow per-host proxy settings.  The proxy settings are
global and the actual method you want to change is KProtocolManager::slaveProtocol().
In there we simply assume that everything that uses proxy uses an http proxy.  We
should instead obtain the protocol from the set proxy address to allow for this type
of proxying.  Then all you have to do is to simply enter the correct proxy address at
the config dialog.  Fixed.

Oh and also can't use a hard-coded port unless it is some sort of default value and if
that is the case then it belongs in io_slave_settings.h :)

Regards,
Dawit A.

On Wednesday 27 June 2001 08:54, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following the small discussion about the problems when using a real FTP
> proxy server (not an HTTP proxy, but a real FTP server that acts as a
> proxy, like DeLeGate), and after being bored of changing everytime the
> '@' char to '%40'. I decided to hack kio_ftp to see if it was possible to
> add direct FTP proxy support. Indeed it's only a matter of redirecting
> the connection and using a processed login. This results in the attached
> patch, which could be commited to CVS if anybody finds it useful.
>
> Changes are:
> - KProtocolManager::proxyForURL : override standard FTP proxy settings
>   if we're using a FTP proxy, to have a direct connection instead of a
>   HTTP slave.
> - Ftp::openConnection : redirect the connection to a specified host/port
> - Ftp::ftpLogin : transform the login into login@remote:port
> - Ftp::openDataConnection : enhancement of the PASV disabling
>
> The nice thing with this patch is that now I can simply enter a normal
> address like ftp://ftp.kde.org: much easier and no problem anymore with
> encoding the '@'.
>
> Configuration takes place in kio_ftprc, using the entries:
> UseFtpProxyServer: boolean
> FtpProxyServer: string
> FtpProxyPort: integer
> FtpProxyDisablePASV: boolean
>
> Will it be commited? (just to know if I have to patch my CVS on each update
> or not).
>
> Michael.

["kio-diff" (text/plain)]