List:       kde-devel
Subject:    knode has problems with some groups
From:       Nils Holland <nils () nightcastleproductions ! org>
Date:       2001-06-27 16:18:14

Hi folks,

it seems to me as if there's some problem with KNode (CVS, lastt Saturday).
Until now, everything has worked fine, but today the following happened:

Trying to get a list of articles in the groups comp.os.linux.setup and
comp.os.linux.hardware crashed KNode. In the status bar, it says
"Sorting...", and I still can use the mouse to click on other newsgroups,
however, it doesn't take long until KNode totally hangs and has to be killed.
From the newsgroups I am subscribed to, only the two groups mentioned above
started showing that problem today.

The problem is still there after restarting KNode, and it even occurs on my
other machine with the same version of KNode.

When KNode hangs in the way I have described above, and I have a look at
what's going on on my system, then the processes "tee" and "knode" (of
course) eat up a lot of CPU time. "tee" actually eats more than knode itself.

Since my news system works with leafnode running on my server machine, I
tried to make sure that the problem is not caused by leafnode by trying to
access comp.os.linux.setup and comp.os.linux.hardware using different
newsreaders. And indeed: KNode from KDE 2.1.1, tin and Netscape work all fine.

So ... is this a problem in KNode? Has anybody experienced similar things
(probably this problem is even already known or has even been fixed)?

Any comments are welcome, especially since it is well possible that this is a
bug in the current KNode (since, as I said, the other newsreaders, including
the "old" KNode don't have this problem).

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland - nils@nightcastleproductions.org
NightCastle Productions - Linux in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.nightcastleproductions.org
"Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance -
I hope you dance!"