List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Positioning windows (-geometry) and # of vertial desktops
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-27 12:52:05

On Wednesday 27 June 2001 14:19, Schoenwaelder Oliver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to have more than 16 virtual desktops? Recompile kdebase? I
> need 24 at least.
> Due to this number of virtual desktopy my next question:
> I'm using fvwm2 and wrote a script which generates all necessary windows
> (or one spcified by name) automatically and places them in the configured
> virtual desktop (e.g. xterm -geometry 80x25+1025+50 ... to open an xterm on
> upper left position of second virtual desktop).
> When using the -geometry option kde2 doesn't place a window outside the
> calling desktop.
> Is there a way to specify the desktop where to place the window in kde?

kstart <app> --desktop <desktop-number>

see also kstart --help

But I can't get the --desktop argument to work here somehow. It just makes
kstart seem to hang. Is kstart broken??? Has Lubos' changed startup
notification anything to do with this?

Anyway, this should do it and I'm wondering why it doesn't...

Martijn