List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Quanta
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-06-23 16:53:20

On Saturday 23 June 2001 11:23 am, Andreas Henningsson wrote:

> I have used Quanta alot latly, great app. But what's the plan in the near
> future? is Quanta aimed to be something like Dreamweaver(web WYSIWYG
> builder ) or more like Interdev?
>
> /A

Well I know Rich Moore likes the Dreamweaver idea. ;-)
Okay, I guess this is the long answer. (so be warned ;)

To be candid I have not used much in the way of windoze tools. I used to do
web pages on OS/2 in EPM. So I can't really make a big comparison although we
do get input from people who have what they like. We have not done a lot with
Quanta lately and hopefully before too long we will tackle our list of
issuses. Here is a brief list of things we would like to get in Quanta
(yesterday would be nice but I can say before the end of the year
comfortably).

* DTD handling - tieing an intelligent tagging system to a selectable DTD.
setting up so that parsing the file reads the DTD. Enabling the user to
select DTDs and load information from the DTD to enable minimal level
functional dialogs as well as making user defined dialogs for the DTD.

* Templating/resources - setting up a system where file templates and
resources such as images, scripts and such can be easily maintained. This
would tie in with the project management.

* Enhanced tagging solutions - basically creating profile sets of tagging
buttons for particular operations. We have also discussed making the tabbed
button bar optional if you want to go to regular toolbars. It would then be
possible to have tool bar configurations follow editing conditions such as
tables or forms or just conforming to what the user chose in this tag area.

* Enhanced project capabilities - All the functions like toolbars, user
scripts and resources that vary with projects would have project settings
saved in the project file. This means that loading a project brings up
project specific resources. Saving a toolbar for instance would offer
global/local option.

* Folding text capability
* Code completion (especially for PHP)
* Full PHP language builder tool
* QT 3 rich text widget edit mode
* CVS integration tools

And a lot more. I don't really know what programs this will make Quanta like.
Frankly the goal is to make Quanta the best tool for professional web
developer (which we are) while making it a better tool for newbies too. I
hope in the future this is cleared up more correctly by these windoze
programs trying to claim how much they are like quanta and that they are
almost as good. ;-)

BTW wrt dynamic web site creation... in the end any tool based first in the
graphical instead of focused first in code management will fall short of the
productivity and control requirements of top developers.

Cheers
--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team