List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Quanta
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-23 17:22:37

On Saturday 23 June 2001 09:53 am, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> And a lot more. I don't really know what programs this will make Quanta
> like. Frankly the goal is to make Quanta the best tool for professional web
> developer (which we are) while making it a better tool for newbies too. I
> hope in the future this is cleared up more correctly by these windoze
> programs trying to claim how much they are like quanta and that they are
> almost as good. ;-)

Do you plan to make independent release of Quanta or do you want to release
it as part of e.g. KDE 2.3?

The idea around the release of KDE 2.0 was to create more independent
releases of packages but so far that only seems to apply to KDevelop and
KOffice. And KDevelop gets packaged as part of KDE 2.2 and KOffice depends on
KDE 2.2. On the other hand, at the time of KDE 2.0 we recognized that you can
hardly expect so many seperate software packages to have the same level of
maturity at the same time, so the larger the release the less likely that the
pace of a release matches with the needs of an individual package. That
hasn't changed of course.

Please think about it, if you wish Quanta to be part of KDE 2.3 then the best
time to make that wish clear is directly after the KDE 2.2 release. (That
goes for all applications btw.)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
As a first step to embrace the GPL,
Microsoft now too has added ideological statements to its EULA.