List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kpersonalizer
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2001-06-19 17:30:57

I feel I have no change never the less, I' ll try.  Perhaps a nice feature
for 2.3

If you put it at the place were I proposed it, there is no disadvanced for
right handed folks (like myself, but I drive the mouse with my left hand :)

Humm, this is interesting you say that 2% of the people are left handed (see
your story underneath).  I wanted to assume that only 1% of the people is
left handed, let's go with 1%.  At how  many desktops is kde running, 1 millon
(2...5??) Don't no, let's assume 1.000.000, 1% of that is 10.000!!

So you're saying that 10.000 people are not important to take into account.

When it would be 2% and 10.000.000 desktops the figure is going up to 200.000
(2 hundred thousand) people!

Such a simple thing to please so many people, hopefully it will be
implemented.

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 05:39 pm, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > > I think it can be put at at the second form which is about
> > > system behaviour,
> > > if it is possible to create a 3rd form (window whatever it is called),
> > > with the question:
> > >
> > > mouse behaviour   o)  left                 o)  right
> >
> > Ok, the only thing I really want to prevent is that we
> > will change kpersonalizer into a hardware-setting-tool in KDE.
> > This would very probably lead to kpersonalizer being replaced by the
> > distribution-specific hardware-setting-applications. Thereby the work of
> > the kpersonalizer-team would become obsolete.
> > Also I want to prevent that kpersonalizer gets so advanced that a newbie
> > can't use it anymore.
> >
> > I did some quick&dirty research and it seems that a
> > Left/Right-handed-setting is not part of any hardwaresettings-tools
> > provided by most distributions (correct me if I'm wrong). Also it would
> > be quite consistent to care as much about the mouse-layout as for the
> > keyboard-layout (which should be done in Step 1 automatically). Another
> > point is of course that mice as well as left-handed people are very very
> > common :-)
> > Therefore it might make sense to include a step between step 1 and step 2
> > to set the left/righthanded behaviour according to the user's needs.
> >
> > I'm not really sure if we can add this before the next Beta or if we
> > should add this after the beta (if possible). After all there is some
> > decoration to be done (Hi qwertz :-) and some code  ... It's fine to hear
> > that Thomas has no problems with additional messages in this situation.
>
> Ok, here is my comment as the maintainer and the main coder :)

Okay, I feel already that I haven't a change :)

> a) no changes any more before the beta, but I need your icon :) and the
> background tile/image for kicker to make it really ready and complete.

Perhaps after ....