List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kpersonalizer
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-19 15:39:14

Torsten Rahn wrote:

> > I think it can be put at at the second form which is about
> > system behaviour,
> > if it is possible to create a 3rd form (window whatever it is called), with
> > the question:
> >
> > mouse behaviour   o)  left                 o)  right
>
> Ok, the only thing I really want to prevent is that we
> will change kpersonalizer into a hardware-setting-tool in KDE.
> This would very probably lead to kpersonalizer being replaced by the
> distribution-specific hardware-setting-applications. Thereby the work of the
> kpersonalizer-team would become obsolete.
> Also I want to prevent that kpersonalizer gets so advanced that a newbie
> can't use it anymore.
>
> I did some quick&dirty research and it seems that a Left/Right-handed-setting
> is not part of any hardwaresettings-tools provided by most distributions
> (correct me if I'm wrong). Also it would be quite consistent to care as much
> about the mouse-layout as for the keyboard-layout (which should be done in
> Step 1 automatically). Another point is of course that mice as well as
> left-handed people are very very common :-)
> Therefore it might make sense to include a step between step 1 and step 2 to
> set the left/righthanded behaviour according to the user's needs.
>
> I'm not really sure if we can add this before the next Beta or if we should
> add this after the beta (if possible). After all there is some decoration to
> be done (Hi qwertz :-) and some code  ... It's fine to hear that Thomas has
> no problems with additional messages in this situation.

Ok, here is my comment as the maintainer and the main coder :)

a) no changes any more before the beta, but I need your icon :) and the
background tile/image for kicker to make it really ready and complete.

b) I see no evidence in adding a page for lefthanded people (because
righthanded don't have to change anything). Now, the point is that 1)
lefthanded people are very few compared to righthanded (no, I'm not
biased, I'm both-handed myself and can only brush my teeth with the left
hand) and 2) on sunday, we had an install party with absolute newbies to
KDE and Linux. One of these people there, about 50 years old and
lefthanded, was able to configure that himself in the control center. I
was astonished as I thought about this because I rewrote the layout of
that module anyway last week, but *they* know where to go to set their
mouse settings right.

c) One thing that went wrong with the labels is that the page numbers
are mentionend in the labels of the pages, so it says: Step 1, Step 2,
etc. This would have to be changed anyway but only after the beta but
that is a general correction. The KDE side of the personalizer will stay
this way but we want to make a plugin architecture around it so
distributors can add their hardware stuff on their own.

Ralf
--
KDE 2 - Trust I seek and I find in You,
everyday for a something new,