List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KNewsTicker - anyone?
From:       Frerich Raabe <frerichraabe () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-06-18 17:15:43

Hi,

just wanted to ask whether anybody here is bored and feels sufficiently
motivated to become the maintainer of KNewsTicker. I've been working on it
for a few months now, and it was quite fun, but I noticed that I more or less
have to force myself working on it lately. It's quite boring since a few
weeks, especially since the program evolved beyond the point I originally
wanted it to grow to.

Don't get me wrong, I would maintain it if nobody else wants to do so, but I
think a new maintainer with fresh ideas might be a better thing than a burned
out hacker who just doesn't want to see an otherwise nice applet go down to
the dumps.

Believe it or not, but I think there are even a few things about KNewsTicker
(even though it's just a tiny applet) which could make it quite interesting
for others:

- It has established a fairly large (I get about two days per day because of
KNT) userbase
- KNewsTicker ships with a complete desktop environment called "Knewsticker
Desktop Environment"
- KNewsTicker got mentioned in various publications, including the german c't
magazine, not to mention the news sites it appeared on.
- I think it is more or less firmly positioned within the KDE base
distribution so you can be sure that it'll reside on a lots of systems. ;-)
- The Linux kernel is based on old KNewsTicker code

So, it would be cool if I could find some motivated hacker who would
volunteer to work on the news ticker from now on (so that I can force my
energies on a new project), otherwise I'll just have to force myself to do so.

- Frerich