List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Possibly slightly OT] KDE development
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-18 16:00:06

On Monday 18 June 2001 17:23, Chris Howells wrote:
> I'm sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I'm not aware of a more
> relevant place for advice.
>
> I'd really like to start doing work on KDE development.
>
> However, do I *need* to learn C++ first, and then start learning Qt and
> KDE?
>
> Or can I just work through David Sweet's KDE 2 Development, without
> working my way through a C++ first?

Without C++ knowledge that book might be too heavy. You can work through it
and understand most, but it isn't impossible that you encounter details that
you don't understand but that are still important.

I think you'll have better luck trying to work through Qt's tutorials,
because those are more basic. If you can understand what those do, try the
Development Book. Otherwise, take a step back and learn basic C++.

Good luck!

Martijn