List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multithreaded application development
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-17 3:06:46

On Saturday 16 June 2001 22:22, Jeff brubaker wrote:
>   Does this mean that no applications included in the base distribution
> of KDE use threads at all?
>
>   When i click on a link in konqueror, it is able to respond to user
> events even as the page is loaded. Is this the same way I.E. and Netscape
> accomplish this? I always assumed that they all  used a threading

KDE uses a technology called KIO (KDE's input/output technology) to
accomplish this. These use the "many processes" as opposed to "one
process/many threads" approach. There is a continuous religious war about
processes vs. threads efficiency and performance but for now we don't care
about this. Qt's support for multithreading is very young and (perhaps) still
fragile. We will wait for it to mature (heard Qt-3 does it) and then we will
start using threads more than currently,as Waldo says.

--
Cristian Tibirna .. tibirna@sympatico.ca
PhD Student .. ctibirna@giref.ulaval.ca .. www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna