List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multithreaded application development
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-17 3:02:39

On Saturday 16 June 2001 07:22 pm, Jeff brubaker wrote:

>   Does this mean that no applications included in the base distribution
> of KDE use threads at all?
>
>   When i click on a link in konqueror, it is able to respond to user
> events even as the page is loaded. Is this the same way I.E. and Netscape
> accomplish this? I always assumed that they all  used a threading
> based approach.
In most cases, you can get away with using QApplication::processEvents() (
kapp->processEvents() ), if you call this function, respond to any events
currently pending.  For example, in the KJofol skin loader in noatun, there's
this huge loop that takes forever to process, so I call kapp->processEvents()
so that the user can continue pressing buttons and such, even while it
continues to load the file.

>   I know that in the Task Manager in Windows NT there is a threads column,
> and most programs have a good number of threads in this column. How is it
> that KDE is able to get away with no threads and some windows programs
> have 20+ threads?
Well, microsoft is thread-happy, not that this is necessarily a bad thing,
they just go too far :)

-Charles