List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multithreaded application development
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-17 0:25:36

On Saturday 16 June 2001 04:30 pm, Aurelien Gateau wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm writting a KDE application which could really benefit using threads. I
> wanted to use Qt-mt, but I read that it was not possible since KDE
> currently doesn't link against Qt-mt. I would like to avoid using OS
> specific thread libraries, so I ended up using the "QTimer::start(0,false)"
> trick to get my job done in the background, but it's not that efficient and
> the GUI doesn't response very quickly.
> I would like to now what is the current politic regarding threads in KDE
> applications ?

1) Don't do it
2) If you made it to this point, KDE doesn't support it right now since we
would have to link against qt-mt for that. (As you already found out)
3) For KDE 3.0 I guess it would make sense to use qt-mt by default not
withstanding point 1). For that it would be helpfull if people started to
share their experiences with multi-threading & KDE so that we know what to
watch out for.

This recent slashdot article about multithreading seems to be very nice.

Rik also wrote some interesting stuff about threading. I'm sure he will react
to your msg as well :-)

Cheers,
Waldo
--