List:       kde-devel
Subject:    This Week's CVS issues
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-16 12:03:25

Hi all,

again, another short coverage of recent problems and hints where some
work is needed. As it's weekend again, and the tagging of the Beta is
due to be next week, everyone should feel invited to fix up his stuff
and if he's done, help others with their issues or start on those that
still remain.

First, a short summary on what's been fixed and what's hot this weekend:

- kpersonalizer should be ready. Carsten Wolff will add a new dialog for
quitting the personalizer. The only thing left is "online-language"
switching while kpersonalizer runs in the stlye that the kcontrol module
for country and language works. So if someone is interested in helping
out with a really boring issue, just feel free to drop me a note that
you'll be willing to do it or contact me on IRC.

- in addition, the "C" language -which is the US default language
selection issue, has been fixed. I just added another Makefile.am into
the according l10n/C subdir to install the desktop and png file to the
kde_locale dir, now setting the default in kpersonalizer and the control
module should work again.

- I'll rewrite the mouse kcontrol module this weekend, this has been
discussed with the translators and that is OK. We'll get some nice
graphics and it'll look much nicer.

Ok, now, what's hot on fixing for the Beta:

a) KDM should work (hi Ossi :)) Please take care that it does on monday
latest.

b) there's *still* that annoying preview scaling issue in konqueror: the
previews are only in correct row *and* column with all other icons (in a
real grid) if the maximum (64x64) size for icons is selected. Otherwise
you'll end up in rows that have 4 items with preview(s) and folder rows
that have 5 to 6 items. This looks really really ugly, and I'd like to
see this fixed if you care about a review in an online magazine or your
local Linux Magazine for the beta :)

c) the Trash. It's currently set in the kcontrol/kdesktop/rootopts.cpp
file with path xy...+i18n("Trash"). Now, if you change the path though
or the language, the result is you get *another* folder that is named
after the local name for Trash. You'll end up having two trashes that
way as a minimum. The solution would be to leave the path, so remove the
i18n() in the module and to make the trash a real thing like the desktop
icon in kicker. Also, it should be placed in kicker by default so you
can handle your trash from there on, so it needs to be a kind of special
desktop file.

d) noatun: I encounter pauses while playing music. It's playing for 10
to 20 seconds, then makes 2 seconds pause and continues. Could this be
fixed ? (erm, yes, xmms doesn't do this although running with artsd :)
so this is a noatun issue and I don't want to offend you charles, just
point you to the issue.)

e) Konsole history: apparently, it doesn't save the setting that one
enabled the history :) Please have a look at that, maybe it would be
better to revert that to the behavior before where everything is kept so
you can scroll back. That should be an option anyway.

f) KWin tooltips. The titlebar buttons need tooltips which (I think) can
be implemented with a subclass in the button classes reimplementing
QToolTip::maybeTip(). Gallium currently has not much time, so if someone
else wants to get his hands dirty :)  I also think that would fall under
"bugfix" rather than "feature" so this should be allowed to "fix".

g) There's now actually two serious issues with licensing of a part of
the kdebase ioslaves and the removal of the kwin decorations by mosfet
(as well as pixie goes). Please stay calm on this, we're investigating.

That's all for this weekend. I hope you guys get some stuff solved if
not all of these but it should be fairly easy. With g) done as well, and
everyone
giving the "to-be" beta a good test for other issues and instabilities,
we should be ready to tag this stuff next week with _maybe_ some days
delay.

Cheers and happy hacking,

Ralf
--