List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE PIM Roadmap (Call to action)
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-15 0:09:42

On Thursday 14 June 2001 02:18, Mike Pilone wrote:

> I was recently talking with Greg Stern (of abbrowser conduit fame)
> about the state of KDE PIM. In our discussions, we started to through
> around some ideas of redesigning the entire KDE PIM API.

That's great. I'm happy that you took this initiative. KDE PIM needs
some more activity to be successfull.

I mostly agree with your analysis of the problems and the solution
steps you suggested. There should be an abstraction of the method of
data storage, there should be a single library for doing
syncing/conflict resolution and we need a server implementation, at
least for storing calendar data.

What we shouldn't forget is that there are plenty of standards in this
area that help us. There is IMAP, LDAP, vCard, iCalendar, SyncML etc.
What we also shouldn't forget is that we already have a lot of apps
that work quite well and some code that at least provides some
functionality (e.g. kab2). Let's base the developments on what we
already have. It might also be worth to look at other projects, e.g.
how Evolution does this.

Let me take KOrganizer as an example. It uses iCalendar as data format.
This works and has various benefits, especially regarding
interoperability. What is missing is a way to store calendar data on a
server, providing (concurrent) access to multiple clients, including
proper user authentication and a generic way to sync calendars from
different sources. I don't see any benefit in reinventing another data
format for calendar data in XML, but an implementation of a server to
handle iCalendar data and the corresponding transport would be a
tremendous improvement to the KDE PIM suite.

Let's try to make this productive. Can we define some steps, which can
be realized with a resonable amount of time on the way to a grand
unified solution? I think it is important to actually create working
code and not fail to deliver something, which is useful, because the
goals were to ambitious.