List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font installer, Xftconfig, Xfs, and CVS
From:       Craig Drummond <cpdrummond () freeuk ! com>
Date:       2001-06-11 15:46:03

> On Monday 11 June 2001 07:11 am, Craig
> > As part of the installing of fonts, the module can also edit
XftConfig
> > files - and will add each directory in the X fonts directory that
> > contains TrueType or Type1 fonts to XftConfig. It also allows for
other
> > XftConfig parameters to be edited - exlcuding a range of point
sizes
> > from being anti-aliased, and enabling of sub-pixel hinting. I was
also
> > thinking of being able to add extra "rules" to the XftConfig file -

> > such as font name substition. However, I'm not really sure that
this
> > sort of functionality belongs within a "font installer". Is this a
good
> > idea?
>
> I expect there might be some wanting to limit it but font
substitution was in
> the first XftConfig I saw as an example and it seems pretty useful.
Whatever
> the arguments to keep it simple it seems to me simple is being able
to use a
> common option with a tool vs reading the docs and hoping you don't
make a
> typo with an editor.

But my real question was is the font installer a good place to put this
functionality? If yes, then it's a simple matter of adding an "Advanced.
." button to the Xft settings page.

> I've used xfs for some time and (unless I'm missing something) it is

> functionally identical to where you list font directories in your
XF86Config.

But -  does Xfs have exactly the same directories listed in its config
file. i.e. do both XF86Config and Xfs's config file have the same
directories listed? I though that when using a font server, that
XF86Config just listed the ip address and port of the font server. But
what happens if the font server only supports TrueType fonts, and X is
used for the others - does this happen?

Ciao

Craig.