List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Guitar program
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-06-10 23:17:41

On Sunday 10 June 2001 02:36 pm, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

>    Hi!
>
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 12:06:41PM -0600, Greg Turpin wrote:
> > Count me in.  Maybe we should move this discussion over
> > to Matthias's list.
> >
> > A good KDE/Qt GUI for recording is something I've been
> > looking for for a long time.
> > We definitely need to look at LAD (Linux Audio Developers)
> > and incorporate LADSPA.
> > The new LAAGA proposals sound awesome.
>
> Maybe this is a good time to say that I have some experimental LADSPA
> support for aRts lying around here. It's not quite finished, but well,
> it works well enough to load LADSPA plugins and use them within the
> aRts flowsystem. If somebody is interested in finishing this, I can
> send you a tarball, otherwise ... well ... I'll commit it once I have
> the time to clean it up a bit.
>
> Btw, I think that aRts currently is far superior to LAAGA, for a few
> reasons:
>
>  * aRts exists, LAAGA is vapourware
>  * aRts solves a lot of problems that LAAGA doesn't (i.e. the problem
>    how to build up complex communications between apps - answer: use
>    MCOP interfaces)
>  * aRts standarizes (and can standarize) a lot of aspects that LAAGA has
>    not even thought about, such as soundserver, effect stacks, midi,
>    synthesis, serialization, gui, plugins, trading, idl, ...
>  * aRts is widely available
>
> I think the kde-multimedia list sounds like a good place for discussing
> these issues, too.
>
>    Cu... Stefan
I agree with all of what you pointed out. I think that aRts is just another
excellent reason (or perhaps one of the best) that KDE is a natural for this
type of collaborative project. The first time I looked at aRts builder bells
started going off in my head that the audio processing applications would be
awesome once people had played with it and developed some modules. Personally
I guess I thought aRts was so obvious it was unspoken.

I do think the one thing that would be important here though is to coordinate
modular pluggable projects and coordinate between. There's nothing wrong with
having 3 or 4 or 10 of a given program... but in this case it would be nice
just to get the first of a good sequencer, effects modules, hard disk
recording, syncronization for MIDI and video, etc...

Perhaps the KDE multimedia list is the place to go? I subscribed to the other
and have not had a single pang of guilt from emails that I felt a need to
respond to. ;-)
--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team