List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Styles for KDE [Re: Preparing for KDE2.2beta1]
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-09 10:54:55

On Saturday 09 June 2001 06:50, Werner Trobin wrote:
|   Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   ::snip::
|   >
|   > So, it's good reason to include this style, than ;)
|   > There are about 100+ GTK widget styles which came with my distribution,
|   > and just 5-7 of them worth mentioning, IMHO.
|   > Around 10 "styles" in KDE 2.1, most of each are very similar, is just
|   > not enough.
|
|   I really don't see the point, sorry. If you say GNOME came with 100
| styles on your *distribution* I say okay, fine. I doubt that all these
| styles are in the GNOME libraries, though.

GTK "styles" (widgets) are in gtk-themes rpm.
Plus, there is gtk-engines rpm. Dunno what is inside Gnome libraries.
Note:  widgets in Gnome are painted/drawn by GTK.
So, we can speak about
-- Window Decorations in Gnome delivered from either SawFish or IceWm
(depending on user preferences), which are in fact can be delivered to user
*without* Gnome.
Run Konqi from IceWm with Infadel theme, you will have Infadel decorations
around it
-- widgets in Gnome are painted by GTK "engines", which can be pixmap and can
be just *engines*
But, if you run GIMP in KDE with Eazel/Crux theme - widgets for GIMP will be
handled by GTK. QT widget styles (either mosfet's Liquid or my Neon) will be
not applied on GIMP

I was saying nothing about Gnome in my mail, but as question was raised, I
have to clarify this issues above.

|   Don't you think Caldera, SuSE, Mandrake, RedHat,... will include more
| styles than the ones in kdelibs? I think every distro will include
| kdeaddons to get all the funky little extras and a few more styles. So
| basically a "user" buying XYZ Linux 11.8 doesn't care at all in which KDE
| package the styles are. A developer with a 56K modem and a shaky connection
| will notice a difference when downloading kdelibs with tons of styles (yes,
| I know that we don't have many, but still).

Agree here with you.
So, what about limiting Style to One?  (and, in this case, Window decorations
themes - to one? )
And install "kdeartwork" or "kdethemes" package - if you want extra themes.?
As I wrote in my another mail, backgrounds (and sounds) should be moved into
this package, too.

|   If someone not using a recent distribution wants to have more eye candy
| noone stops him from downloading kdeaddons. Maybe we should "advertize"
| that package a little bit more, but please (for the last time in this
| thread), please, don't let kdelibs grow even more if it's *that* easy to
| avoid.

I, for example, have problem here compiling "kdeaddons" because of some
stupid dependency.
Let's than split it into "kdeartwork" or "kdethemes" package, from one side,
and "kdeaddons" package which will include stuff requiring compilation.
Why you want to mix KDE themes with UserAgent configuration dialog?

|   Ciao,
|   Werner, hi-color-default-and-so-on-weenie

Ciao,
--

Vadim Plessky
*Running KDE with Z-car theme and Egypt style*