List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Preparing for KDE2.2beta1
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-09 10:54:21

On Saturday 09 June 2001 08:43, David Faure wrote:
|   > > KDE Sgi (vs. Qt Sgi)
|   > > System/System++ ? (one of them should be moved out, no?)
|   > > Marble (does anyone really use that one?)
|   >
|   > Yes. Me. Me. Down here, see me?  I use it.
|
|   But you would still use it if it was in kdeaddons or kdeartwork ?
|   Hmmm .... that's the other question. Should styles go in
|   kdeaddons or in kdeartwork ? It's code, but it's artwork too :)
|   I can't see any styles in either yet, so the question is open...

Not all styles are code. Mine are pixmaps.
Can be packaged as .noarch RPM and ditributed for any platform, without
compilation.

What I can propose here is to limit number of *backgrounds* (wallpapers)
included with KDE by default. These are huge bitmaps, and they consume a lot
of disk space. Besides, I doubt most of these backgrounds are updated from
KDE 2.1 time.
Savings will be bigger than *excluding* some *looks-not-so-popular* but used
by someone style.
So, putting them in separate package will help - you will not download it
with each beta release.
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)