List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: List of 4-Modifier Layout
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-06-08 5:02:26

Greetings Waldo,

> Why does the Meta scheme have all those strange combinations and not e.g.
> Meta+F3 instead of Alt-F3?
>
> > Switch To Desktop #		Ctrl+F#		Meta+#
> > Show Window List		Alt+F5		Meta+0
> >
> > Pop-up Window Op-Menu:		Alt+F3		Alt+Space
> > K-Menu				Alt+F1		Meta+Space

I've tried to make the key assignments as logical as possible, and spent
literally hours drafting up tables of various possible schemes (considering
some things which i'll have to wait until the next version to implement)...
Of course, every scheme is only more or less arbitrary. ;)  Anyhow, i think
the some of these settings bring more consistency and are more 'learnable' than the \
usual.  For example, there is a certain correspondence between  the window menu and \
k-menu, and so it makes sense to use the same key with  the appropriate modifier.  Or \
the correspondence between quitting a dialog  box, quitting a document, quitting a \
program, and closing the window manager  (I like the 'escape' key for this).  F#-key \
assignments often seem highly  arbitary (although not in desktop switching).

Regarding the desktop switching, i think i would like to change it back to
using F#-keys so that the number keys could be used for jumping to a given
program in the taskbar...