List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: artsd
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2001-06-01 17:44:04

> Ok ,my arts doesn't work, when I test sound it just core dumps (from
> kcontrol) and If I try to play an mp3 on kde media player, the mp3 plays
> really fast (3 times faster than normal time) and I don't listen to anything.

Hi!
  As I see many different experiences with artsd, I'll give my ones:
  My artsd (HEAD CVS) works. It crashes when I select full duplex mode, so I don't
  select it even my audio hardware supports it.
    My system consists of 2 soundcards: one is on the MB, based on the VIA 686 chipset,
the second one is SB Live Emu10k. The first one is used by artsd, the second one is
free for direct access by audio apps.
  Some minor issues which I don't like are:
  - While artsd is running, /proc/interrupts shows continuous traffic on the audio
    hardware, even when nothing is played at the moment.
  - The system log is filled with the following messages:
    Jun  1 19:23:17 arcus kernel: via_audio: ignoring drain playback error -11
  - The worst problem: More rarely, than the previous case, log shows:
    May 29 19:29:40 arcus kernel: via82cxxx: timeout while reading AC97 codec (0x9A0000)
    This is really serious problem, because all the machine freezes for about a second when
    this event occurs - it is busy-looping with interrupts disabled in the driver waiting
    for the results. And why it is so bad ? This machine contains CD burner and when this
    happens during the burning process, You can imagine what happens to the burned CD.
  When artsd is not running (even when using the via audio directly i.e. by xmms), none of
these has been observed.
                                     With regards, Pavel Troller